Sunday, March 9, 2008

home sweet home

Ditto to Cecilia's reasons.

I’ve been thinking about good old Buffalo a lot lately. I’m going through grad school interviews, few of which are in the area, and the thought of moving away makes me sad. In fact, I found out today that I was accepted to a school (yay!) a few hours away and in the middle of no where (boo). So yes, I’m very excited and for 2 years I could suck it up and get myself an ed-ju-ma-cation, but I would miss Buffalo and everyone in it.

My first favorite Buffalo memories probably started at Garvey’s restaurant. Nothing like a bunch of kids running free in a bar, overdosing on Shirley Temples peanut butter pie and chicken fingers. This really didn’t seem odd to me until I met normal families. One of my favorite days was the St. Patrick’s Day parade. We spent the day at the restaurant listening to bag pipes and watching all the crazies drink the day away. Now that I’m old enough to enjoy the parade just like those crazies, I always wish the restaurant was still open. It would definitely be a different experience now though.

I love having four real seasons and having the extreme heat in summer and feet of snow in winter. Even though my arms are aching from shoveling my driveway all day long, I do love the Buffalo blizzards we get. As long as everyone is home and safe, I love being snowed in. My roommates and I made the journey to Rite Aid and bought their remaining beer and had ourselves a party. Then I made it home to East Aurora and had some quality time with the family.

I can’t forget about East Aurora. Vidler’s, Bar Bill, Toy Fest, and our white trash summer days at the community pool. So even if I do end up having to leave for a few years, you can be sure that I’ll be back.

No comments: